GREENHILL CHURCH HISTORY...
At the end of the Civil War, a group of Christians and former slaves in New Providence, Tennessee banded together and organized the First Colored Baptist Church to be later called the Greenhill Missionary Baptist Church. These pioneers had already been meeting secretly under a brush arbor for quite some time at the old bluff overlooking the Red and Cumberland River junctions.
The site, just a few yards away from Fort Bruce/Fort Defiance, had served as a protected and partially concealed gathering place. The slaves referred to the old brush arbor in a secretly coded chant: "I'm a-goin' to tha' green-hill.
In 1865 the worshippers replaced the brush arbor with a church building in the location now known as A Street. The church stood there until the 1950's when the building was destroyed by fire. The congregation then purchased property on Walker Street and acquired one of the old Fort Campbell Chapels that had been declared "surplus" after World War II and rebuilt it where it stands today.
Now called the Greenhill Church and Christian Outreach Ministries, we are currently led by Elder Angela R. Jones, its first female pastor and presently affiliated with the Kingdom Builders Network, which is under the leadership of Bishop Horace Hockett and Born Again Church of Nashville, TN. Greenhill consists of members from different denominations, backgrounds and nationalities. Clarksville natives, retired military as well as active duty who come by way of Ft. Campbell Army Installation, participate as active members and leaders in our congregation for a season before evangelizing and extending God's Word to other areas of the country and the world.
Today, just like our ancestors, we continue in our rich pioneering history through Vision 2015! By purchasing property in the area to expand our territory; supporting the church with our time, talent and substance; and ministering to the needs of the people of Clarksville and its surrounding areas, we are The Greenhill Church--a monument dedicated to God, a spiritual institution to serve mankind that shall live on!